This Forum uses cookies only to improve the browsing experience. By viewing our content, you accept the use of those cookies.
To find out more and change your cookie settings, please view our cookie policy.

Close
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Wing Commander Bob Daniels RAF (Retd) - R.I.P. (Read 295 times)
Jan Cobb
Committee

Hon. Secretary & Web Manager

Wing Commander Bob Daniels RAF (Retd) - R.I.P.
24.07.2023 at 09:40:05
Print Post  
The Secretary received the following email from Ted Hill on Friday:
    "Dear Angie,

It is with much sadness that I have to report that my father in law, Wg Cdr Bob Daniels passed away yesterday, 20 Jul 2023 in Ipswich at the age of 93. He was one of the founder members of the FCA and supported the Association for many years.

I will let you have funeral details in due course."
Bob gave up his membership of the Association several years ago, but he remained no less a life-member of the fighter control community, a community for which his loss will be hard.

When funeral arrangements are known, they will appear in the Members Area board.

IP Logged

Grant Grafton

Re: Wing Commander Bob Daniels RAF (Retd) - R.I.P.
Reply #1 - 24.07.2023 at 11:34:43
Print Post  
Such sad news.  My condolences to Ted and Bob’s family.

Although we never served on the same unit, I knew of Bob. I first met him face-to-face when he stepped off a C130 Hercules on Stanley airfield, in the Falklands, a few days after the Argentine surrender.  He told me he could have arrived earlier, had he agreed to being parachuted onto the islands.  It seems his reply to this (as a former pilot - with expletives deleted) went along the lines of “I’ve never jumped out of a serviceable aircraft yet and have absolutely no intention of doing so now!”

Bob immediately brought a great deal of authority and experience to the embryonic Falkland Island Air Defence Ground Environment (FIADGE). For me, personally, he provided very welcome ‘top cover’ from senior commanders of the other 2 Services, allowing the ‘S259 Radar Detachment’ to get on with establishing and then improving a relatively primitive, but effective, Command and Control system.

Credit to Bob, and those who established the system, that FIADGE continues to ‘turn and burn’ over 40 years later.

RIP Bob

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint