This Forum uses cookies only to improve the browsing experience. By viewing our content, you accept the use of those cookies.
To find out more and change your cookie settings, please view our cookie policy.

Close
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Death of Hilda Robinson (Read 5,061 times)
Pat Gallanders

Death of Hilda Robinson
25.06.2011 at 16:12:01
Print Post  
I have just received notification from Paul Robinson, Hilda's nephew, that Hild passed away on Wed on 22 Jun. Funeral arrangements have yet to be decided.

Hild was at Boulmer in 1965, my first posting. She and Dave Eves had the dubious task of training me!! She nicknamed me 'Squawkbox', quite aptly, after she had to spend many long midnight watches with me in tow!

She has always remained in contact and now, all too late, I wish I had visited her in Cheltenham.  She was a good friend but when I first set eyes on her as Flt Officer Robinson as she waited for my arrival at Almouth station, I was terrified and almost did not get off the train ( the other Flt Offs had all been at OCTU). Instictively I called her Ma'am and her response was - " Don't call me Ma'am - welcome to this cotton picking festering hole!!"  I never looked back!  The Branch has lost yet another character.

IP Logged

John H Hyde
Hon VP

Re: Death of Hilda Robinson
Reply #1 - 27.06.2011 at 17:34:17
Print Post  
One of the finest Chief Controllers I ever worked with and a wonderful person as well.
John h

IP Logged

Gordon Carle
Forum Member

Reply #2 - 27.06.2011 at 23:32:15
Print Post  
A fine person & good friend - I'm sorry we lost touch but Shetland is far from most places!. Clipping from the Tengah Times attached
Gordon

IP Logged

Jan Cobb
Committee

Hon. Secretary & Web Manager

Reply #3 - 22.07.2011 at 22:40:54
Print Post  
I received the following message this evening from Richard Stopford, one of our members:
    I was sorry to learn of Hilda Robinson's passing.

I would not profess to have known her well, but we were on the same Fighter Control training course together (No. 17 NSA course), at Middle Wallop in 1951 (I still have the course programme and examination papers, which must be museum pieces!

On being commissioned, Hilda was posted to Neatishead and I to Langtoft, its satellite. This meant occasional lodging at Coltishall or Horsham St. Faith and I recall how glad I was to find a friendly face in the daunting expanses of Coltishall's Officers' Mess - Hilda's. Our paths did not cross again (I was in the RAFVR), but I never forgot her kindness.

Dick Stopford

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint