This Forum uses cookies only to improve the browsing experience. By viewing our content, you accept the use of those cookies.
To find out more and change your cookie settings, please view our cookie policy.

Close
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Wing Commander Allan Owen Connarty (Read 8,061 times)
Jan Cobb
Committee

Hon. Secretary & Web Manager

Wing Commander Allan Owen Connarty
16.10.2014 at 19:57:44
Print Post  
It is with very deep sorrow that we pass on to members and non-members far and wide the sad news, news that had evaded us for 10 months, that Allan passed away on 19 December 2013. The funeral, it has been reported, took place on Friday, 10th January this year.

The information, sad as it is, only came to light because a couple of retired colleagues had been attempting to get in touch with Allan. One, though, having drawn a blank, went a stage further and searched the Internet, where he found the brief obituary. It read:

9 Jan 2014

Allan Connarty

It is with great sadness that we report that Allan Connarty, Mediator, Adjudicator and Conflict Management Consultant, died on 19 December 2013. Allan’s passing was unexpected and has been a tragic loss to his wife Clare and all who knew him. Allan was instrumental in setting up and leading IDRS Ltd prior to its purchase by CEDR in 2011, and he was also a member of CEDR’s adjudication panel.

Allan had a highly distinguished twenty-two year career as an Officer in the Royal Air Force prior to entering the world of ADR. Allan was appointed Director of Operations at the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb) in 2001, and he went on to found IDRS Ltd in 2007. Allan was Managing Director of IDRS Ltd for over four years before its purchase by CEDR, where its distinctive and recognisable brand has been retained.

Allan retired in 2011, spending his free time in the Kent countryside walking his dogs and acting as a volunteer fundraiser for the Kent Search and Rescue Dog Team. Allan continued to make a valuable contribution to CEDR during his retirement on our external adjudication panel.

Gregory Hunt, Director of Business Development at CEDR worked closely with Allan for seven years at CIArb and latterly on the formation and launch of IDRS Ltd, which was acquired by CEDR in 2011. Gregory said, "From his arrival at the Institute Allan was committed to improving the quality of service delivered. His work on the consumer business ultimately led to the formation of IDRS which changed the face of the consumer redress markets in the UK. Allan was a larger than life character whose enthusiasm and commitment will be missed by many within CEDR and throughout the wider ADR community. Our thoughts are with his family at this time."

Allan's funeral will take place on Friday 10 January 2014.

While it is too late to respond to Allan's death by attending his funeral and paying him our respects, I'm sure that there will be those who would wish to add their condolences here.

IP Logged

Dave Lowry
Committee

Museums Member

Re: Wing Commander Allan Owen Connarty
Reply #1 - 16.10.2014 at 20:33:20
Print Post  
It was with great sadness I heard of this. Al was on my Flight at RAF Buchan in the early 80s. He was a great asset and a pleasure to work with. Fortunately, I met him a year or two ago at an FCA Christmas Function and we briefly caught up with our news.

Al is a sad loss. I would like to pass on my condolences to his family and friends.

Dave Lowry

IP Logged

John H Hyde
Hon VP

Reply #2 - 16.10.2014 at 20:48:50
Print Post  
Sad to read of Al's death. He made a great contribution to our Branch and went on to prove in Civilian life the qualities we ground radar geeks have to offer. My condolences to  his family.

John Hyde

IP Logged

Mike Clarke

Reply #3 - 16.10.2014 at 21:00:16
Print Post  
What a very sad loss! I first met Al at 1ACC in 1973 and I served with him on many occasions thereafter; he was a lovely man and a great character. My condolences to his wife and family. RIP

Mike

IP Logged

Tim Willbond
Committee
President

President (and Heritage/Veterans
Member)

Reply #4 - 17.10.2014 at 09:40:42
Print Post  
A terrible shock and a sad loss to our community.  A great character who has left his mark on the branch.

Belated condolences to his wife and family

IP Logged

Sue Gillott

Reply #5 - 17.10.2014 at 11:40:51
Print Post  
It was my great pleasure to join the School of Fighter Control when Wg Cdr Connarty was Officer Commanding.  My condolences to his family and friends for their loss, I'm sorry our messages and respects arrive a bit late.

IP Logged

Adrian Gill

Reply #6 - 19.10.2014 at 22:25:06
Print Post  
What very sad news.  A nice man and good company.

Adrian Gill

IP Logged

Alec Trevett

Re: Allan Connarty
Reply #7 - 03.11.2014 at 19:24:50
Print Post  
Well I am both deeply saddened and stunned. I am working in the Middle East at the moment and only heard of Al's passing this evening from a friend. Such a shame that news of Al's passing did not reach his many former FC friends and colleagues for such a long time.

I served with Al at CRC Brekendorf in the late 80s and our paths regularly crossed thereafter not least at Buchan and the many FCA Christmas gatherings in The RAF Club and later, of course, at The Grapes.

My very belated but no less sincere condolences to Al's family and I shall be raising a glass in his fond memory shortly. A straight-talking Caledonian who was very good to have alongside you in an Ops Room and was bloody good company.
Here's to your memory Al.

Alec -T

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint