This Forum uses cookies only to improve the browsing experience. By viewing our content, you accept the use of those cookies.
To find out more and change your cookie settings, please view our cookie policy.

Close
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic QRA(I) Scramble Re-enactment - Bruntingthorpe 28 July 2013 (Read 3,980 times)
Dave Lowry
Committee

Museums Member

QRA(I) Scramble Re-enactment - Bruntingthorpe 28 July 2013
29.05.2013 at 14:29:58
Print Post  
There will be a QRA(I) Scramble Re-enactment by the Lightning Preservation Group (LPG) based at Bruntingthorpe, Leicestershire on Sunday 28 July 2013. It will be only the second time this has been done. Last year was the first time and, according to the crowd, was a great success. A video article developed by Key Aero can be seen on the following website:

http://www.key.aero/view_news.asp?ID=5308&thisSection=historic

This year it will be different and better. Instead of the single Lightning both of the LPG's F6s will be participating. Although they do not fly they emerge from the re-sited RAF Wattisham 'Q' Shed and hurtle down the runway in full reheat. It is a memorable spectacle that can be seen no where else in the UK and possibly the world.

More information and purchase from the limited number of tickets can be obtained from the LPG website at:

www.lightnings.org.uk

There will be a commentary through the PA system which will also be linked to the R/T in both aircraft.

The LPG is a self-funding organisation manned by many keen and hard working volunteers. Without them, these two F6s could well be coke tins by now rather than a reminder of the last of the truly British Fighters and the key role they played in maintaining the peace during the Cold War years. The Scramble re-enactment is a tribute to the whole Air Defence System of the time, the many people who manned it and its achievements without which it could have been a very different world today.

Dave Lowry

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint