This Forum uses cookies only to improve the browsing experience. By viewing our content, you accept the use of those cookies.
To find out more and change your cookie settings, please view our cookie policy.

Close
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Red Star Intercepts from Saxa (Read 3,832 times)
Gordon Carle
Forum Member

Red Star Intercepts from Saxa
17.03.2013 at 17:52:09
Print Post  
Pat Goulborn has kindly sent me a picture of a Badger taken during an intercept he controlled from Saxa in 1971. I wondered if there were similar (Saxa) photos out there I could get copies of. If enough are forthcoming I would put a section out on the Saxa Blog – all pictures would be credited. The last intercept from the Unit was in 1991.
Cheers
Gordon

IP Logged

Greg Hammond

Re: Red Star Intercepts from Saxa
Reply #1 - 11.04.2013 at 19:49:36
Print Post  
Gordon, that 1991 intercept was mine (17 Sep, 2 x Bear D) and I am fairly sure I was given some photos; if I can find them, I will certainly forward them.  However, while 1991 was the last Cold War intercept and the last for several years, I think there may have been a few more interceptions when the Russians started flying again about ten years later but before the Stn closed.

IP Logged

Gordon Carle
Forum Member

Re: Red Star Intercepts from Saxa
Reply #2 - 11.04.2013 at 20:04:45
Print Post  
Thanks, that would be very helpful. I think there were more after that using Saxa radar but I think yours would have been the last controlled from the site. The last visident from Saxa was in 2005 - the CO Phil Carpenter actually eyeballing a Hormone Helicopter taking off from a carrier within visual range of Saxa!
Cheers
Gordon

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint