This Forum uses cookies only to improve the browsing experience. By viewing our content, you accept the use of those cookies.
To find out more and change your cookie settings, please view our cookie policy.

Close
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Report on a re-enactment of a QRA(I) Scramble at Bruntingthorpe 15.07.2012 (Read 9,123 times)
Dave Lowry
Committee

Museums Member

Report on a re-enactment of a QRA(I) Scramble at Bruntingthorpe 15.07.2012
17.07.2012 at 10:27:30
Print Post  
The Lightning Preservation Group (LPG) at Bruntingthorpe possesses and maintains in taxiable condition 2 x Lightning F6s at Bruntingthorpe housed in a 'Q" Shed obtained from RAF Wattisham. The F6s often do live runs down the runway and simulated QRA Scrambles. For the first time, however, on Sunday 15 Ju, a Scramble was conducted with an explanatory commentary on the public address system linked into the UHF of the aircraft.

As an ex-Buchan Master Controller it was suggested that I might do the commentary. I am volunteer Guide with the co-located Cold War Jets Museum. Naturally, I agreed and, with helpful input from other members of the team, worked up a script. I am pleased to say, our first outing with this format was very well received by the crowd of a few hundreds of enthusiasts. For those who are interested you can access a short video of part of it on YouTube. Google 'Bruntingthorpe QRA' and click on 'QRA Day at Bruntingthorpe' and then select the video at VX927.

I have attached a copy of the complete commentary script. It does not include some ad-libby between the pilot, John Ward, and myself when all was quiet with the F6 turning around at the far end of the long runway. This simulated the intercept, reporting and RTB. I am told this added very much to the realism for the crowd.

There are numerous events at Bruntingthorpe with aircraft, Hunter, Victor Tanker, Buccaneers, Canberra, Nimrod, Comet, Jet Provosts, Sea Vixen and others doing fast taxi and simulated take off runs but not all include full QRA simulations. I suggest you google Bruntingthorpe LPG and Cold War jets for info.

I hope this event goes some way in support of the FCA objective of raising the profile of the work of the Air Defence System during the Cold War decades and of the Branch.

In addition to all that, I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

Regards to all

Dave Lowry

IP Logged

Phil Gilbody

Re: Report on a re-enactment of a QRA(I) Scramble at Bruntingthorpe 15.07.2012
Reply #1 - 22.08.2012 at 13:01:27
Print Post  
Hi Dave,

Hope you remember me ... I certainly have fond memories of you. I'm not one for reunions be they RAF or School, but I was recently persuaded by Toby Forrow to join the Association. I really enjoyed watching your QRA scramble and had tears in my eyes with laughter. It was great!!!

BFN    Phil (Gilbody)

IP Logged

Dave Lowry
Committee

Museums Member

Reply #2 - 22.08.2012 at 14:05:41
Print Post  
Hi Phil

I most certainly remember you, especially when down in the Falklands. As well as then our paths happily crossed on a number of occasions. As you can see, I am involved at Bruntingthorpe. It stops me hanging around street corners and causing trouble !!

I am pleased you are now a member of the Association. You will have to think about coming to the Christmas function.

Take care

Dave

IP Logged

Bernie O'Neill

Reply #3 - 03.12.2012 at 22:37:44
Print Post  
Hi Dave
I came across the Bruntingthorpe scramble video on Youtube. The commentary sounded very knowledgeable and well informed, particularly the bit about there being a “Q12” but then I didn’t know then it was you doing it until I read this email.
This reference to “Q12” jolted my few remaining brain cells into remembering one very, very busy Christmas Day when you and I did have a “Q12” airborne, together with two or three Sentry A/C and at least 4 Marham tankers were airborne during the watch.  And something like 70+ X-Rays spread all over the North Atlantic during the watch, a plotting table was just full of plaques and the RAPDS screen looked like the North Atlantic had a nasty dose of chicken pox. 
Ironically, I think we both volunteered to do the Christmas period partly because it was going to be quiet.
I was so sad to hear that you lost Elenore. I vividly remember sitting in the kitchen of your MQ at Buchan, drinking a couple of beers listening to Elenore telling Hannah to “get off the deck”.
Good Memories.
Go Well
Bernie O’Neill

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint