This Forum uses cookies only to improve the browsing experience. By viewing our content, you accept the use of those cookies.
To find out more and change your cookie settings, please view our cookie policy.

Close
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 91SU/Saxa Vord - Equipment in the early days (Read 6,814 times)
Gordon Carle
Forum Member

91SU/Saxa Vord - Equipment in the early days
05.03.2012 at 22:35:44
Print Post  
Should any of the oldies be interested I've just put out a piece about Saxa in the early days:
http://ahistoryofrafsaxavord.blogspot.com/2012/03/equipment-at-91-signals-unit-r...

IP Logged

Richard Jenner

Re: 91SU/Saxa Vord - Equipment in the early days
Reply #1 - 06.03.2012 at 11:56:32
Print Post  
Gordon, a good read - thanks for all the (continuing) work. I never served at Saxa but worked extensively with the unit during a tour at Buchan in the early '70s when I was a 'DC' for a couple of years. Later on as OC Ops/OC Buchan I managed to visit the unit at least once per year and always looked forward to the experience.

Richard
(clearly an oldie)

IP Logged

Gordon Carle
Forum Member

Reply #2 - 06.03.2012 at 12:30:47
Print Post  
Thanks. I'm fortunate to have some good contacts & being in Shetland helps. Later this year I hope to put sections out on RAF SKaw, AES4 and 203 MRU - the 3 radar Units which were on Unst during WWII.
Cheers
Gordon

IP Logged

Steve Morson
Forum Member

Reply #3 - 12.03.2012 at 15:33:17
Print Post  
Another good article Gordon... I hope that you and the family are enjoying life to the full in "the sunshine island"... I hear that a spell of electric storms we are expecting will be so spectacular you will all be able to plug your electric kettles into the northern lights Cheesy

IP Logged

Gordon Carle
Forum Member

Reply #4 - 13.03.2012 at 22:40:24
Print Post  
Thanks. Always on the lookout for more data - particularly on the operational side. Shetland the same as always - changeable (and frequently!). Who needs a kettle, flip top cans & a bottle opener will get me by!

IP Logged

Mike Clarke

Reply #5 - 14.03.2012 at 16:05:46
Print Post  
Ah, those "Shetland Roses"; the memories come flooding back! Glad things haven't changed, Gordon and, yes, it was another good article. Thanks.

Mike

IP Logged

Gordon Carle
Forum Member

Reply #6 - 14.03.2012 at 19:03:44
Print Post  
Thanks - research seems to be taking longer & longer but getting some good help.
Attached Pics - some Shetland Roses not yet ready for "planting out" and some real wild Shetland Roses (they do grow here but it helps to have a head for heights when searching for them!)
Cheers
Gordon

IP Logged

Steve Morson
Forum Member

Reply #7 - 17.03.2012 at 09:19:02
Print Post  
Loved the picture of the Shetland wild dog roses... I don't remember seeing any Shetland McEwans roses but I did see lots of them on the way from Aberdeen to Buchan... (during a two week "visit").

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint