This Forum uses cookies only to improve the browsing experience. By viewing our content, you accept the use of those cookies.
To find out more and change your cookie settings, please view our cookie policy.

Close
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic RAF Saxa Vord - The Admiralty Building and Cables (Read 4,406 times)
Gordon Carle
Forum Member

RAF Saxa Vord - The Admiralty Building and Cables
09.08.2011 at 21:46:56
Print Post  
I have gathered a significant amount of data about the Admiralty Building and the submarine cables which were laid from Saxa in the 50’s & 60’s. In the next few weeks 3 sections will be added to the blog
http://ahistoryofrafsaxavord.blogspot.com
I am interested in any data from the start of the construction of the Admiralty Building in 1955 to endex.  The operational side of the cable network was declassified by the early 90’s and, as far as I’m aware, the shore-based systems have been used to track whale movements for a number of years. The equipment at Saxa has not seen any use since the mid 70’s at the latest. Any info supplied will be credited (unless the supplier wishes to remain anonymous). I’d also like to find out what the RAFused the Admiralty Building for after it was transferred to Strike Command (mid 80’s I think).
Cheers
Gordon

IP Logged

Ian Fish
Committee

Treasurer

Re: RAF Saxa Vord - The Admiralty Building and Cables
Reply #1 - 10.08.2011 at 10:33:17
Print Post  
Gordon,

Could this be related to SOSUS - see http://www.navy.mil/navydata/cno/n87/usw/issue_25/sosus.htm

Ian

IP Logged

Gordon Carle
Forum Member

Re: RAF Saxa Vord - The Admiralty Building and Cables
Reply #2 - 10.08.2011 at 11:20:19
Print Post  
Hi Ian,
Thanks- I have seen the article. The Saxa stuff was related to but separate from SOSUS. The first cables (used in the 56/57) period were a national UK Admiralty Trial. The second lot (early 60's) were US but not part of SOSUS as far as I can tell. The main UK SOSUS Site was NAVFAC Brawdy (Naval Facility). It's all helpful though.
Cheers
Gordon

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint