This Forum uses cookies only to improve the browsing experience. By viewing our content, you accept the use of those cookies.
To find out more and change your cookie settings, please view our cookie policy.

Close
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Death of Squadron Leader John France RAF (Retd) (Read 5,897 times)
Mike Clarke

Death of Squadron Leader John France RAF (Retd)
28.06.2009 at 12:51:41
Print Post  
With great sadness, I report the death of my friend, Squadron Leader John France. John suffered from Motor Neurone disease and died at his home in Andalucia on 22 June 2009.   His funeral, which was well attended by family and friends, took place on 26 June and he is buried in the small town of Alcaucin, not far from his home.

I first met John when he took over as Station Commander at Saxa Vord where I was OC Ops Flt.   We found that we had much in common, both being ex V Force Navigators, but while John was a Victor man, I had flown Vulcans.   John became a staunch friend and will be greatly missed.   He was a true gentleman.

John was not a member of the Association but many members, and others, will remember him.

IP Logged

Richard Jenner

Re: Death of Squadron Leader John France RAF (Retd)
Reply #1 - 29.06.2009 at 22:53:29
Print Post  
Mike,

That's very sad news. We were at Buchan together in the early 70's and as you said, John was a true gentleman. Helen was at OCTU with John. We kept very loosely in-touch by Christmas card - our condolences to Mary.

Richard

IP Logged

Nick Gadd

Reply #2 - 30.06.2009 at 10:55:02
Print Post  
Mike,

Sad news indeed. I worked alongside John at Brockzetal from 1988 - 1991 where he was employed as an ASIO. He spent many hours trying to convert the Germans and Dutch to his way of ASIO thinking. I hope history records that he was reasonably successful!! He was also a bit of a fitness fanatic and could often be seen pounding  the flat lands of Northern Germany. Gill and I send our condolences to Mary and the family.

Nick Gadd

IP Logged

Alec Trevett

Reply #3 - 30.06.2009 at 21:06:57
Print Post  
Very sad to hear this news. I first met John when he was going through the SofFC at Bawdsey and our paths crossed several times thereafter. John and Mary dropped in on my 'batchelor pad' at Brekendorf whilst they were en-route to their exchange tour in Denmark back in the eighties. What a lovely man - super sense of humour and very kind ways. We are all poorer for his passing.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint