This Forum uses cookies only to improve the browsing experience. By viewing our content, you accept the use of those cookies.
To find out more and change your cookie settings, please view our cookie policy.

Close
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Locked Topic Death of Dave Owens (Read 6,153 times)
Jan Cobb
Committee

Hon. Secretary & Web Manager

Death of Dave Owens
05.08.2008 at 10:56:04

I have been passed the sad news from Rex Barriball - via Tommy Thompson - that an old friend and colleague of many a member, Wing Commander Group Captain Dave Owens, died earlier this year (21st April 2008) at the age of 76. Rex had seen him shortly after Christmas last year and, although Dave was clearly weakened by then, the two of them were able to reminisce at length! The funeral - in Truro, Cornwall - was attended by Rex and Jenny.
Edited:
The words in red (above) are corrections/additions inserted on 23/2/09 after information was passed to the Sec and a check was made in The Times Classifieds

IP Logged

Tony Pleasant
Ex Member

Re: Death of Dave Owens
Reply #1 - 07.08.2008 at 11:38:02

How very,very sad.  Dave was my first Wg Cdr Ops after commisioning and introduced me to the Officers Mess one lunchtime in February 1976.  I ordered the well done sausage and mash and as I went to cut the first piece of sausage he talked to me, I looked up to answer, and the whole lot slid into my napkin on my knees.  He never batted an eye and after lunch acknowledge I had given him a great idea for my first secondary duty - Messing Member!!  On a more serious occasion he showed great sympathy as I went through a fairly traumatic time in my life and I was, and will be forever grateful for the compassion and understanding he showed to myself and Maggie. A sad time for all who knew and worked for and with him; a great officer and a true gentleman.  Plez

IP Logged

Kelvin Holmes

Re: Death of Dave Owens
Reply #2 - 13.08.2008 at 11:20:05

How very sad.  Dave Owens was the boss for most of my time on ADGEEB in the early 1970s.  A real gentleman and a pleasure to work for.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint